Details
IMAGE number
NAM5927659
Title
Button, Cachar Volunteer Rifles, 1883-1886 (brass)
Artist
British School, (19th century) / British
Location
National Army Museum, London
Medium
brass
Date
1883 (C19th)
Description
Button, Cachar Volunteer Rifles, 1883-1886. Brass button, made by Hobson and Sons, London, with crown over Queen Victoria’s cypher ‘VR’, and a circlet inscribed with the unit’s name. Cachar and Sylhet are adjacent districts in the tea-growing province of Assam, situated north-east of Bengal. The Cachar and Sylhet Mounted Rifles was an Indian auxiliary unit formed on 6 April 1883. It was originally known as the Sylhet Volunteer Rifle Corps, from 22 October 1880, and was designated the Surma Valley Light Horse on 13 August 1886. From the Field Marshal Sir John Chapple Indian Army Collection.
Photo credit
Bridgeman Images
Keywords
auxiliary / army organisation
Want this image now?

For more details visit our FAQ page

Contact us for other Usage Options
Availability
Dimension [pixels] Dimension in 300dpi [mm] File size [MB] Online Purchase
Large 4467 × 3723 px 378 × 315 mm 8 MB
Medium 1024 × 854 px 87 × 72 mm 1 MB
Small 600 × 500 px 51 × 42 mm 0 MB
Copyright
Out of copyright

Back to top